Total Visits

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Becoming a Bisquick Scientist!


I was super-excited when I found out that General Mills was coming out with Gluten-Free Betty Crocker cake mixes, Bisquick and Chex!  I was very un-excited when I found out its only available in the USA.  I wrote to them eagerly wanting to know if and when we could get it in Canada... only to receive an automated response that "the product I was inquiring on was only available in the USA" - well DUH! ...

My sister was going to Michigan for a wedding and brought me back some of the mixes to try.  The one thing I found I could not live without was the Bisquick.  It made great pancakes and waffles and served as a great base for muffins. 

One of my good work-friends went to Boston on a shopping trip and brought me back 2 more boxes - I was thrilled.  As they eventually ran out, I thought - surely I can figure out how to make this myself based on the ingredients that are on the box... its just a baking mix.

I got very very close, and here it is....

1 cup of white rice flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of potato starch
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp GF baking soda

Sift well and store in an airtight container... I doubt its exact, but it does the same job as the Bisquick does...

The BEST thing that I made from them is chocolate chip muffins!

1-1/4 cup of the "Bisquick" mix
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp oil
1 cup chocolate chips




Mix well in a hand or stand mixer for about 2-3 minutes - the batter will thicken up.
Bake in greased muffin tins for 15-20 minutes at 400F until browned and cooked through.




Cool and ENJOY!    Makes 10-12 muffins.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bisquick also makes some awesome Red Lobster biscuits. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Gina, Gluten Free said...

Yum! Yes please!!

Anonymous said...

Red Lobster Biscuits

2 cups of Bisquick
2/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix Bisquick and cheese; add milk. Spoon on an ungreased cookie sheet (makes about 12). Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Brush with melted butter and garlic powder.

Gina, Gluten Free said...

trying it now!

Gina, Gluten Free said...

Came out wonderfully with the gluten free "bisquick" mix!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear!!

Gina, Gluten Free said...

***NOTE ON THE RED LOBSTER BISCUITS!***
Gluten Free Bisquick does not have a fat component in it like the original. Put the 1/4 cup of margarine / butter right IN the mix. (for further explaination see this link http://www.allbusiness.com/consumer-products/food-beverage-products-baked-goods/15465655-1.html)

Anonymous said...

Wanted to say thanks for this, I just did this recipe. I like the texture and flavour was pretty good, but IMO I found them quite sweet compared to what I expected. I think next time I'll cut back the sugar a decent amount.

None the less, the recipe is a keeper. Again, thanks! :)