Total Visits

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oatie Cookies

Some Celiac's can tolerate pure, uncontaminated oats.  Some cannot.  I am fortunate enough that I am able to eat guaranteed uncontaminated oats.  I don't eat them often, but when I do, this is my most favorite way to enjoy them (outside of apple crisp, of course!)

I call these my "Oatie" cookies... my boyfriend chuckles at me when I use this childish name for them, but the name has stuck.  These were the first cookies I attempted after my diagnosis.  The simple idea of a cookie was so wonderful, I ate 2 before they had even cooled!

I got this recipe from my Mom's handwritten recipe book... this is the recipe book she started when she got married 37 years ago, so I cannot give credit to the exact origin of these drop cookies.

The recipe originally called for coconut.  I am not a fan of coconut, so I substituted peanuts and have been very happy with that choice.  Otherwise, the below is verbatim copied from Mom's book.

Chocolate Oat Cookies


In a saucepan combine:

½ cup margarine
½ cup milk
2 cups sugar

Bring to a boil and let cook 3 minutes

Add:

3 cups of Guaranteed Uncontaminated Gluten Free Oats
6 tsp cocoa (check to make sure it's gluten free, not all are created equal!)
1 cup of either peanuts or coconut

Spoon by the teaspoon onto wax paper and allow to cool. 

No comments: