Total Visits

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chicken Stew & Cheese Biscuits


My love of cooking started early.  My Mom and my Nanny are great cooks, and I understand that my Dad's twin sisters are too.  So, I guess I come by my interest in it honestly.  When I was in my mid-teens I started to read through my Mom's recipe books and trying things out.  This was one of the first things I remember doing on my own.

I believe the origins of this recipe came from a Jean Pare Company's Coming book... but I am not sure because I committed my version of it to memory so many years ago (probably 15+).  I simply call it "Chicken Stew", and it is a family favorite!

And here is how it goes....

Sautee in a frying pan:
1 sweet onion
3 tbsp margarine (try Becel's Vegan - its gluten free!)
1 tbsp dried sweet basil
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Sautee until the onion is soft

Boil:
3 small white potatoes
2 medium carrots

Chop:
2 cups cooked chicken

Prepare:
3 cups of gluten free instant or homemade cream of mushroom soup


(I just found out that Campbell's Gardenay Harvest  Mushroom Soup is Gluten Free!  I tried it last night using one tetra pack of the soup and 1/2 cup of milk and it was AMAZING!  http://www.campbellsoup.ca/en/products/health.asp?label=glutenfree)




Combine the cooked onion mixture with the cooked potato, carrots, frozen or canned corn (about 1/2 cup), chicken and mushroom soup in the frying pan.  You can also add peas or any other desired vegetable.  Stir often on medium heat until well combined and bubbling.  Serve and Enjoy!



Tonight we will be enjoying cheese biscuits with our stew!  (Recipe adapted from "Red Lobster Cheese Biscuit" recipe).

2 cups of "Bisquick mix" - see previous blog Becoming a Bisquick Scientist http://ginaglutenfree.blogspot.com/2011/02/becoming-bisquick-scientist.html
2/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of melted margarine
1/2 tsp salt
Mix Bisquick and cheese; add milk and margarine. Spoon on an ungreased cookie sheet or in muffin tins (makes about 12). Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Just discovered your blog! My husband has a wheat allergy that we found out about just after we got married about 4 years ago. Needless to say, I didn't really learn to cook until I was married so this made things much harder and often frustrating. However, we've come a long way, and I am pleasantly surprised by all the new products and resources, like your blog. I'll be trying out some of your recipes. My mom found the gf Bisquick, and we've gone through 4 boxes in the last few weeks!

Gina, Gluten Free said...

Hi Katie!

Discovering your husband's wheat allergy must have been a big challenge for you both in starting your life together! Especially where you were just learning to cook! I felt like I had to learn how to cook all over again when I went gluten free, and yes, it can be very frustrating starting out!!

I am sure he appreciates your love and support! I know that I could not have come along as positively as I have without my boyfriend's support. Having a good support system is just as important as having the right foods!

I am so glad that you find the blog helpful! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Cheers!
Gina

Katie said...

Hi again,

I'm revisiting your cheese biscuit recipe. They are baking as I type, and it's the second time my husband has requested them! We decided to make sandwiches out of some of them. I usually flatten them more than normal before baking them. When they've cooled a little, I cut them in half and spread a little butter and some italian dressing on each half. Add meat and cheese and bake them a little longer. Of course, you could do them cold, too! Thanks again for sharing your recipes!

Gina, Gluten Free said...

Hi Katie! I am so glad that the biscuits worked for you! That's a great idea to make sandwiches out of them! :) Cheers!