Total Visits

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lemons to Lemon Pie!

My father and I share many things in common... not the least of which is a love of Lemon Meringue Pie... hands down it is my favorite pie!

Strangely enough, the origins of this recipe are from a 35-year old "Five Roses Flour" cookbook of my mothers.  I was over visiting Mom one afternoon over the holidays, and there it was sitting on my mother’s countertop.  I was idly flipping through the book when I stumbled across a recipe for Lemon Pie filling.  I had never known any other way of making a lemon pie filling other than a Shariff mix, so I was curious what went into it. 

I tried it - first with trying to make a gluten-free all-purpose flour and used the full 10tbsp that it called for... that was horrible mistake!  It came out like bread dough.  The second go at it, I just used a few tablespoons of potato starch until it reached the desired thickness and doubled the amount of lemon juice the recipe called for and it came out beautifully!

Lemon Pie Filling


2 cups boiling water
2 lemon rinds grated
¾ cup sugar
2-3 tbsp potato starch
¼ cup margarine
2 egg yolks
Juice of 2 lemons

Use the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust Mix and follow directions to make a bottom crust.  Standard Meringue (egg whites and sugar) works beautifully!

Boil water with lemon rind.  Add sugar a little at a time to the boiling water. Slowly add the potato starch, stirring constantly until reaching the desired thichness.  Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.  Cover and continue to cook for 20 minutes longer without stirring.  Beat egg yolks slightly, add a little of hot mixture.  Mix well and return to mixture.  Remove from heat.  Add lemon juice and margarine.

AND DAD COULDN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!

No comments: