Total Visits

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gluten Free Premium Saltine Crackers (E. Barbone)

A few weeks ago, we were out visiting our closest friends. Part way through the evening (after we had finished devouring what was left of the Gluten Free Brownies http://ginaglutenfree.blogspot.com/2011/03/gluten-free-brownies.html) my friend pulled out a gift for me.  She said she had found this book and thought she would buy it for me.  The book was Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone.  I had never seen this book before but after a quick flip through it I wished it that it was the FIRST book I had opened after my celiac diagnosis.  This book is a celiac's dream!  Breads, cookies, cakes... all with simple, clear, easy to follow instructions! 

My excitement peaked on the very last page of the book in a section called "Tastes Like".  This section includes gluten free recipes for delights such as Graham Crackers, Twinkies, Oreos and.... CRACKERS!!!  Oh, my mind raced!   Crackers and peanut butter, crackers in soup, crackers with cheese!  Heaven!  I mean, lets face it - those store bought gluten free crackers are pretty awful.  I gave up on those pretty quickly and simply went without.

I wrote to the author via Facebook and asked her permission to blog one of the recipes from her book.  She gave her warm blessing!!!  I am so thrilled to share this with you all!  I strongly suggest you get your hands on a copy of this book - I am sure your delight will match mine!

So, without further delay, I am honored to bring you Elizabeth's Premium Saltine Crackers!




Dry Ingredients:
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp salt
Wet Ingredients:
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup cold water

Kosher salt, for sprinkling.

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add cold butter.  Blend using medium speed on handheld and stand mixers, until butter is cut into the dough and no large pieces of butter remain.  When correctly mixed, dry ingredients should resemble lumpy sand, some pea-sized pieces of butter will remain.  Add water and blend until a dough forms.

2.  Place a 12x16-inch piece of parchment paper on a work surface. Place dough on parchment paper and cover with another 12x16-inch piece of parchment.  Roll dough incredibly thin, about 1/16 of an inch.  When you think the dough is thin enough, roll it a little more.  The dough will cover about two-thirds of the parchment paper.  Remove top piece of parchment paper. Prick the dough all over with a fork.  Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough into cracker-size pieces.  Generously sprinkle kosher salt all over the top of the dough.

3.  Carefully transfer parchment paper with dough onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown. 

4.  Remove pan from the oven.  Pull parchment paper onto a wire rack and allow crackers to cool completely.

Makes 2 dozen crackers.

No comments: