Total Visits

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A visit from the cream cheese angel!

Finding this recipe online was a total and complete treat!  I tried it, and omitted the cinnimon and raisins and added in a third cup of guaranteed uncontaminated oats and ooooohhh... heaven! 

There have been too many mornings when having a Bagel and cream cheese with my morning coffee at my desk would have just hit the spot!  Now, I toast one up at home (to avoid contamination from using the toaster at work) and wrap in waxed paper (just like I used to when I worked at Tim Horton's!!).  When I get to work I microwave it to heat it up a bit, then smear on some cream cheese or peanut butter! 

http://www.glutenfree.com/index.cfm/homemadebagels.html

TIPS:
1.  You are going to get at best 9 small-ish sized bagels from this recipe.  They say 9-12 but they are dreaming.
2.  The Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread mix works equally well in this, if not better than the French Bread and Pizza Mix (so buy whichever you can find, and/or get cheaper). 
3.  I have found it best to put a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper down on the cookie sheet when you set them out to let them rise (my best trick for rising is to put them in the oven with just the oven light on), then slide the paper off onto a hard surface and prepare your pan with the oil and corn meal.



4.  Try to be careful when brushing on the egg that not a lot of it gets on the pan, it makes the bagels stick like crazy!
5.  If you are having trouble getting them off of the pan, let them cool, they will come off a lot easier without loosing the bottoms.
6.  They freeze wonderfully, so don't hesitate to put them in ziploc baggies and chuck them in the freezer.


ENJOY!

No comments: