Total Visits

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ode to Mom's Banana Muffin Recipe

I have been blessed in many ways in my life.  The biggest blessing has been my parents.  They brought me into this world, told me there was nothing I couldn't do, and encouraged me every step of the way.  They have always been there for me.  The last few years, I needed them more than ever.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease only months after moving back in with them after my divorce (my cat in tow, who still is with them).  It was a difficult time, and I wouldn't have gotten through it without them!

When I was diagnosed, food became an even bigger focus in the household.  My Dad is diabetic, so we now had two very strict dietary needs to take care of.  It was a challenge to say the least! 

Mom has always made us muffins, so I think it was a natural progression from the gluten free coffee cake recipe that she started with, to muffins. The ones shown are made by my Mom.  They are currently in the freezer, ready to go to work for easy breakfasts and snacks (the stomach flu has kept me from enjoying them right away).

These freeze up and re-heat in the microwave beautifully and are a great at-your-desk breakfast with coffee.

Mom's Banana Muffins

1 cup becel vegan margarine
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs + 1 egg white
1 cup plain yogurt
2 large mashed bananas

2 cups El Peto All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flax Meal
1-1/4 tsp xanthan gum
2-1/2 tsp baking powder (GF)
1 tsp baking soda (GF)
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:  1/4 cup brown sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon

Combine dry ingredients together in one bowl and wet ingredients in another bowl.  Make a well in the bowl with the dry ingredients and gradually mix in the wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and sprinkle topping on each muffin. 

Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: