Total Visits

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why are the simplest things so difficult?? All I wanted was a good Chocolate Chip Cookie! Was that too much to ask??

I don't know anyone who doesn't take comfort in a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh out the oven.... Mmmm the aroma as they are baking is intoxicating!  I bravely continued to make non-gluten-free cookies after my diagnosis for my boyfriend and his son on weekends because they truly loved having a warm cookie and milk on a chilly Saturday afternoon.  I mean, who doesn't?  Not being able to partake in the weekend ritual sometimes got me down.  I occasionally tried different gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipes only to be sorely disapointed.  They called for a laundry-list of various flours and starches (and usually called for sorgrum flour, which I hate the taste of).  They were hard, bland and crumbly.  Hardly the warm and gooey cookie I was craving. 

So, I decided to go back to the basics.  Below is my cookie recipe.  It is essentially my old cookie recipe that I have been using since I was about 7 years old, only replacing the wheat flour with Almond Meal Flour and adding in Xanthan gum to replace the gluten. I also reduced the margarine from the original recipe because of the moistness of the Almond Meal,  I increased the vanilla for flavour/liquid.  This makes a chewy (even after a few days in a ziploc bag!), delicious cookie that we ALL enjoy on chilly Saturday afternoons!



Gina’s Chocolate Chip Cookies!!

¼ cup margarine
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups Almond Flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ cups chippits

Combine using stand mixer.  Bake on greased pan, 375F for 12-15 minutes.  Makes about 20 cookies.

2 comments:

Beth said...

A chocolate chip cookie recipe in your collection is essential! Glad you found something that works for you!!

Liquor License New York said...

Amazingly yummy! This really looks delicious! I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Training. Happy Valentines Day!!!