Total Visits

Monday, March 7, 2011

Carrot Cake

When my sister went to the USA for a wedding, she brought me back a few of Betty Crocker's New Gluten Free products including the Yellow Cake Mix (since they are not yet available in Canada - Boo!).  I stumbled upon this Carrot Cake Recipe on the Betty Crocker website that called out for the gluten free Yellow Cake Mix. 

My boyfriend's parents live about 2 hours out of town, and we were going to visit for the weekend.  Bringing a gluten free dessert with us sounded like a good excuse to try it out!  So, the night before we left, I set to work. 

I followed the recipe, and at the advice of fellow bakers who had commented on the Betty Crocker website, I added 1/4 cup of crushed pineapple to ensure it came out nice and moist.  It took longer than suggested to bake (perhaps due to the pineapple), but when it came out of the oven it looked and smelled like Carrot Cake!  I was hopeful! 

We took it with us, and his father proclaimed on the first bite "It tastes like Carrot Cake!" - music to my ears!  I tried it and it did taste just like Carrot Cake!  The texture was moist and fluffy!  I challenge anyone to tell the difference between it and one full of gluten!

If you like Carrot Cake - you have GOT to try this one out!  It's a home run for Betty Crocker...

Now that my one and only Yellow Cake Mix is gone, I will have to figure out a suitable base to use instead... stay tuned!!!  I need to finish eating this one before I can make another!!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/carrot-cake-gluten-free/81350456-95da-4e1b-bcb9-fe84378a2098

For GLUTEN FREE Bread, Brownies, Pancakes, Biscuits, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and GLUTEN FREE PIZZA see my other blog enteries at http:\\ginaglutenfree.blogspot.com

No comments: